Translate

Sunday, November 4, 2018

Reflection For the Nature VS Nurture Debate

Today in class, we had a very strong discussion that it turned into a debate, this is a really important topic in society and should have one straight answer, " Nature VS Nurture." We were split into two groups, nature on one side and nurture on the other. We did it in a really formal way and was loads of fun. Here is what we experienced:

The day before we had this debate, we were told to prepare information on both sides of the debate, citing quotes, examples and different life experiences. I prepared many of my past work and put it all together resulting in great, formal structured argument with all the requirements and more.

When it was time for action, my group and I were ready to take on anything, we were prepared and stated exactly what we are talking about and why. It was a great presentation by all! I think that my oral presentation was magnificent and couldn't be better, just joking! No one is perfect, I think that I deserve a level 4 in this section because I tried my best and talked with confidence and using strong and formal aggressive words towards the other group. I spoke in a court ordered way and let other in my group participate by giving them examples of what they can state or explaining to them the main concept of nurture.

When it was time for the counter arguments, I was firm while stating my objections and oppositions and stating evidence from what their speaker said providing proof from certain articles. When people were objecting statements that I've said, we would argue back and fourth about this topic for about 5 minutes until my opponent has nothing else to say and proves my statement correct. My group did a great job at answering the questions asked from another group with strenuous effort. I am really proud to have had them on my side.

Overall, I assume that I did a extraordinary in this debate all throughout it, from the beginning, preparation, to the ending, winning the debate. The way our team showed co-operation made us become closer and more understanding of one another' ideas and ways thinking. Great job nurture team!

During this debate, I learned many new things about this certain topic, this will help me ameliorate my background knowledge. At first when we started this assignment, I thought that it was really hard as I did not know the meaning of nurture. But soon, I found out that this is a really interesting topic and that I should learn more about it. I learned new scientific terminologies while researching for information about this topic, just like monozygotic twins and dizygotic twins. Also, I had my first structured debate and experienced how a real debate goes and how to communicate aggressively in a orderly fashioned way.

  “...The closer psychologists look at the careers of the gifted, the smaller the role innate talent seems to play and the bigger the role preparation seems to play”.

In my opinion, I think that this quote best supports the nurture side of the debate, as it states that physiologists look more into IQ and not preferences. As said in many articles, a human being’s development is all IQ until a certain point. Personally, I disagree with the nature development statement, because, it is proven that someone’s natural IQ and preferences that they are born with, start fading away towards adolescence and adulthood.


After that period of time has passed by, everything you do or think is just the influence of your environment and surroundings. For example, a person is born with natural instincts and use them throughout their childhood years. At school, we are taught to not smoke or do drugs, but unfortunately when we grow older into being adolescents and adults, our instincts change and also our influences. When you are peer pressured to smoke drugs, you’re instinct button is just malfunctioning and then your natural instincts turn into your influences, which is the nurture.

Hopefully everyone agrees that nurture is how someone's personality and identity not nature. This is why I think that nurture is the true reason to a being's development, of course nature also has a slight percentage in a person's identity such as beauty. I rest my case!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Summer Vacation (Brought to you by Kempenski Soma Bay)

To start tgis blog off, I want to inform all of you that I miss you guys so so so much! Everyday I check my Instagram feed and see all of yo...